STUDENT POLICIES & PROCEDURES
- The bus operator will use common courtesy, extreme caution, and follow the “S” Endorsement procedures to ensure the safety of the students and other users of the road when loading and unloading the students.
- Students must be at the bus stop for pickup. The bus operator will not wait for students to come from the home but the bus operator will wait for a student who is en route to the pickup point at the time of the bus arrival.
- The bus operator and the students are not expected to open any gates.
- If the bus operator is required to stop in the yard, there must be sufficient turnaround space; otherwise the pickup will be made at the road or gate.
- Bus operators will not load or unload students on a highway unless absolutely necessary. Where it is necessary that the student be picked up and dropped off on a highway, the operator will use extreme caution and drop off at the safest place on the highway possible.
- If a student fails to appear at their bus stop, the bus is still required to stop at the designated pickup point three consecutive times. If the student does not appear at the scheduled pick up point on the fourth consecutive day, the bus operator will notify the Area Supervisor and will not stop at that student’s home until further direction is provided by the Area Supervisor.
- When entering or leaving the bus, students must observe the directors of the bus operator.
- Students must not enter the bus while it is in motion and students must not remain standing after the bus proceeds. The bus operator will allow the student time to be seated after the student has entered the bus.
- Students must not leave the loading position until the bus comes to a complete stop and the door is opened.
- Students should cross the road in front of the bus on entering or leaving the bus.
- Students must not use the rear emergency door except as directed by the bus operator.
- Students must notify the bus operator when not returning home. In the event that a student does not notify the bus operator that they are not returning home and does not attend the bus at the end of the school day, the bus operator will provide notice to the Area Supervisor of the student’s failure attend the school bus without notice.
- The bus operator is not authorized to drop off or pickup any student at any location except at the designated location.
- In the event that a student needs to be picked up or dropped off at a location other than the designated location, the parent or guardian of the student will provide a written note requesting that the student be dropped off at another location on the school bus route, or on another school bus operator’s route.